Navigating Coronavirus — May 18
We will have new Navigator numbers this week, but check out below for the key takeaways from the last few weeks of polling on public opinion on coronavirus.
Message guidance on the latest developments with President Trump’s handling of the crisis.
TRUMP’S RUSH TO PREMATURELY END SOCIAL DISTANCING IS SPREADING THE VIRUS.
Now Trump’s claims of “optimism” for the country are driving people out of their homes and putting the country, including health care workers, at more risk.
- NYT: “With more than two-thirds of states significantly relaxing restrictions on how Americans can move about over the last few weeks, an uptick in cases is widely predicted.”
- “More than 20,000 new cases are identified on most days. And almost every day this past week, more than 1,000 Americans died from the virus.”
- Houston Chronicle on Saturday: “Massive jump in Texas COVID-19 cases”
- And today, Trump is forcing open one of the nation’s hardest-hit meat plants where more than 1,000 workers and their family and friends were infected.
- Sioux Falls, SD Mayor: “I’ll be honest, it makes me nervous. We’ve seen how a zero-case facility can become a 1,000-case facility.”
- NAVIGATOR DATA >> 80% of Americans, including 79% of Independents and 85% of people of color who are over-represented in meatpacking jobs, believe we need to maintain or increase social distancing to continue to stop the spread of coronavirus and keep their families safe.
TRUMP AND MCCONNELL ARE MAKING THIS CRISIS WORSE FOR FIRST RESPONDERS, FAMILIES.
As 36 million newly unemployed American families face their third rent checks due since Trump’s failure to respond to the pandemic forced a massive shutdown of the economy, Republicans must own what they are doing to families and first responders.
- POLITICO: “Though House Democrats on Friday passed a sweeping, $3 trillion stimulus bill built around aid for local governments and a fresh batch of direct payments to the public, the Republican Senate majority has no immediate plans to produce an alternative.”
- McConnell “says he doesn’t yet feel the ‘urgency’ to spend more money”
- NAVIGATOR DATA >> By 22 points, Americans believe Trump and his allies have favored the wealthy over middle/working class in their response to this crisis (54–32%) and by 11 points they trust Democrats in Congress over Trump to respond to this crisis (50–39%).
- WAPO: “Trump’s GOP ‘party of health care’ has no coverage plan for millions amid pandemic”
- NAVIGATOR DATA >> On health care, those numbers are worse. By 18 points, Americans trust Democrats in Congress over Trump to fix the health care system (53% — 35%). Among 18–44 year olds, the spread is 2-to-1 of those who trust Democrats over Trump (58% — 29%).
NAVIGATOR TRACKING NUMBERS . . .
Some key Navigator polling from over the last week.
- While other leaders enjoy a boost in support, Trump’s failed response has sunk his support. This week, we saw Trump’s pandemic approval hit a new low at 41% — and a majority of Americans now call Trump’s response a “failure.” There’s a significant gap between the reality and claims of “big success” Trump has tried to spin.
- Americans want to see mask requirements in place to make them feel comfortable. 84% of Americans, including 78% of Republicans and 77% of 2016 Trump voters, agree with stores requiring customers to wear masks. Half of Americans even say it would make them more likely to shop at a store if they required masks. Americans are focused on staying safe, no matter what political culture wars Trump and his allies stoke.
ONE MORE THING . . .
WATCH AND SHARE >> The people around Trump live in an alternate reality. Trump said he’d make us #1, and he sure has.
Navigating Coronavirus is a joint project of Governing for Impact, Groundwork Collaborative, The Hub Project, and Navigator Research.
Know someone else who should be on our list? Have them SUBSCRIBE HERE